This Fact Sheet signals on how best to balance the provisioning of education at distinct levels of the system and seeks to provide answers to the following research questions:
- What is the highest level of education attainment of South Africa’s population, including its workforce?
- What is the profile of those who completed education at various levels, disaggregated by race, gender, and age groups?
- How does South Africa compare internationally, in terms of the achievement of literacy and those who have completed degrees?
- How does South Africa compare internationally, in terms of the achievement of literacy and those who have completed degrees, especially in terms of its workforce?
Highest level of education refers to the highest grade completed at school and/or the highest post-school qualification obtained.
This publication covers
- Background and Purpose
- Terms and definitions: Adult, Highest Level of Educational Attainment, Tertiary education, Employed and Unemployed
- Summary of findings