Given that public expenditure on PSET is critical for broader social and sustainable development through improvements in skills and productivity, this report provides an overview of funding and spending trends in PSET in South Africa. This Fact Sheet analyses government budgetary/expenditure trends in PSET from 2010 to 2019 and provides Treasury estimated budgetary projections until 2023/24.
This report considers, among others, how the gloomy performance of the South African economy is likely to affect public funding of the Post-School Education and Training (PSET) system.
This publication covers
- Overview of funding and enrolment in the PSET system
- Public spending on PSET
- Real per capita spending on PSET
- Consolidated government spending of a select number of functions
- Overall government spending on schooling system versus post-schooling system
- Government spending on total education (both schooling and post-schooling)
- Government spending on tertiary education
- National Student Financial Aid Scheme